“You mustn’t allow yourself to be chained to fate, to be ruled by your genes. Human beings can choose the kind of life that they want to live. What’s important is that you choose life… and then live.”
-Naomi Hunter (Metal Gear Solid)
These are some rough days we all have been living in. The news is often negative because of this viral situation we are all experiencing, as well as it’s setbacks to our jobs, finances, routines, and other daily activities.
My city is under lockdown (the announcement was given last night, 3/26/20), as well as most of the world, because of this terrible COVID19. One way or another, this is definitely something that will affect almost every person in one way or another globally.
My belief is not that this is a judgment from God, nor that He is punishing the “evil non-believers” for their sin. No, Christ already paid for all our sins and judgment on the cross. We live in a broken world, full of lots of diseases aside from COVID19.
As a gamer, I started thinking about what I could share that would be helpful to the gaming community during this time. An easy answer would be, “everyone, take advantage and play games all day since your stuck at home!”. Not a bad idea, but not the most productive one either of our time.
Aside from gaming for long periods of time, there are some other ways we can spend our precious hours and get that feeling of accomplishment while we are home and practicing social distancing.
Whether your working or not, a student, or a stay at home parent, there’s lots that can be done so let me encourage you with a list of some ideas, and please share yours in the comment section so we can all help each other out!
I also want you to know that we here at Gaming & God are here if you just want to chat on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook Messenger. If you need prayer, want to vent, or just talk gaming, anime or other geeky subjects, send me a message!
- Get through the backlog of games: We all have them, video games that have not been opened or downloaded because we haven’t got to them. Instead of buying a new one, save your money and get through the ones you already have. That’s one method I use to save $ when it comes to gaming.
- Finish that project: Remember that thing you started but never got around to completing? Well, now is the time to do it! Make a list of all those ideas you wanted to do, but “didn’t have the time” to do, and get them going. A new skill? Watch some Youtube videos and learn it. Losing weight? Start doing some in home workouts and eating healthy. Whatever it is, plan it out, and start taking practical steps towards completing it.
- Working from home: If you can work from home, that’s fantastic! Keep doing it, and do your best so your employer sees that you are not taking advantage of the situation. For those that are struggling financially because you were laid off, think of ways you could produce extra income. Babysitting? Helping others like doing errands or fixing things? Selling some used games you have lying around on eBay or other platforms?
- You are not alone, take this!: Join some gaming communities where you can chat with others who have the same passion as you do, especially positive ones. You can also message me if you need prayer, or leave a comment below on whatever is on your mind. We are here for each other! Don’t forget to reach out to those friends or family you haven’t spoken to in a long while.
- Try Twitch or other streaming platforms: If you play online a lot, try streaming while you game! That way when others jump in to watch, you can chat with others and it makes your session more enjoyable. Or you can watch some streamers I recommend as well 🙂
- Read those books that are gathering dust: Books, books, books! There are lots of those that, just like video games, we’ve bought and never got around to reading. Get a few of them, and leave them somewhere you frequent daily in your home and start reading them one at a time. You can also use GoodReads to track how many you’ve read in a year
Personally, I have a bunch of books by my couch that I am getting through little by little, starting to stream weekly Mondays and Wednesdays at 5pm via Steam, organized the house (painting, cleaning, throwing away papers, etc), and yes, playing through my backlog!
I’m currently finishing Tales of Graces F, Hollowknight, Spiderman, and a few others I need to get to. I’m also: spending time with God, reading the bible, working out, improving this blog, listening to preachings, and staying in touch with friends/family.
Stay strong and active, mentally and physically. This will pass! There is light at the end of the tunnel. Pray for those that are ill, and that God would bring cures and healing to this situation. He is in control, and I am trusting in Him all the way. Are you?
What other ideas could we all try while at home? Let me know in the comments!