I normally just post a link to a community post I was part of over at Geeks Under Grace, but I will be changing things around. Instead of just putting the link, I will be copy/pasting my entire segment here so you all can check it out. Let me know what you think, God bless.
Lucifer, also known as Satan, was a holy angel of God. To reference his origins and history, I will highlight a few Bible verses but there honestly aren’t that many. Some mention what seems like Satan, but if you look at the context of these chapters, it’s talking about an evil king or someone else (Isaiah 14:12-14 and Ezekiel 28:11-19). I am not saying that these verses aren’t talking about Satan, but I am not 100% sure because of the reference to King Babylon in Isaiah 14and the King of Tyre in Ezekiel 28.
As a Christian, my thoughts and experience on this topic have never been if Satan is real or not, but, “What can I do to stop him from having authority in my life?” Yes, Satan is real, whether you want to believe it or not. Gravity, air, and many other invisible forces exist on Earth and in the universe and we do not contest them, yet to consider that an evil force out to make our lives a literal hell is hard to believe. I have found that it’s usually more modernized nations like the USA that believe Satan is a fairy tale, yet people with less resources and options tend to see the spiritual side of life much clearer.
I would like to highlight a few points that show different characteristics of Satan’s nature, and how we can avoid failing into his traps. Look over each verse and learn about his motives and how he works, because in that way you will know how to live in freedom.
- Luke 22:31-32 – A sifter (someone who wants a Christian to stop believing in Christ). As Christians, Christ is the pillar and core of our faith and His resurrection. Without that, we are left with just another religion, just like the other hundreds that exist.
- 2 Corinthians 4:4 – Apostle Paul explains that Satan is able to blind unbelievers from the truth which shows that he has power over the spirit realm. This is why many times when people try to understand the Bible or receive Christ, they reject it so quickly or they don’t understand salvation at all. It’s like you’re talking to a wall. You see this confusion in atheists, solely religious people (as opposed to those who have a relationship with Christ), and people who hate the name of Jehovah.
- 1 Thessalonians 3:5 – The Apostle Paul mentions the tempter in scripture as well, being that Satan is a tempter of sin since the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3). In 1 Thessalonians 3:5, he sent Timothy, his disciple, to check up on his church to see how they were doing or if they had fallen into sin.
- Revelations 12:10 – Another example of Satan is that he is an accuser. Even in the book of Job (Job 2), long before the book of Revelation was even written he was talking bad about believers before God’s throne. Things haven’t changed, but we have One that is greater pleading our case before our Heavenly Father and standing in the gap for our protection and holiness (Romans 8:34).
- 2 Corinthians 11:14 – Satan also disguises himself as an angel of light. To me, this is the most successful of his tricks, as many people (including Christians) believe that his appearance is ugly, evil, and frightening. Often, it is the reverse. Satan will conceal himself as your best friend, a pleasure, or even what seems like an “opportunity” when in reality, it will lead you to destruction. Seek wise counsel or ask God to reveal to you the truth before you swallow the lie.
Regardless of his past, I do know one important fact about the Devil. He doesn’t win and ends up in the lake of fire burning for all of eternity. I refuse to join him in suffering, so I don’t care what the world thinks or any religion or atheist thinks of me. My faith and life is in Christ. To hell with the devil, I have no pity on him and I declare he is under my feet in Jesus’s name. All his power over my life and my family’s life is broken, and I pray in Jesus’s name that the same happens over your life right now.
I want you to pray and ask Jesus Christ into your life as Lord and Savior. Ask Him to forgive your sins and reject the lies that the Devil has been feeding you all these years. You are not a loser, you are not without purpose or meaning, you were created in God’s image and likeness. The Devil has no hold over you anymore and all those years of dealing with addictions and lack of forgiveness in your heart stops today.